Solid Waste & Recycling
What Are My Recycling Options?
- Free curbside recycling available to all County households through Sept. 30, 2019
- Continue the convenient service of single-stream curbside recycling.
- You can opt out at any time.
- New residents should call 757-253-6700 to enroll in the program.
- Free separated recycling drop-off available at all 3 Recycling Convenience Centers
- Opt out of recycling
- Call customer service at 757-253-6700.
- Continue to reduce and reuse packaging waste as much as you can!
- Leave the cart at the front of your property where it is visible and accessible.
Curbside recycling is currently available through the Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA). Commercial or contractor generated non-recyclable materials must be disposed of at the Transfer Station on Jolly Pond Road.
Curbside Recycling 101
Learn about why we recycle, what we recycle and how we recycle.
The County operates 3 convenience centers where residents may drop off trash for disposal or recycling.
Payment & Fees
Payment coupons are accepted at all convenience centers and may be purchased online. Customers now have the option to use credit cards at all 3 convenience centers to dispose of household trash and yard debris. Please note there is a 2.95% convenience fee for all credit card transactions. For example, if you dispose of 60 gallons of household trash (1 coupon) that equates to $4.12 with the convenience fee. Payment coupons will still be accepted and are available online or from the following locations:
- James City County Recreation Center
- Abram Frink Jr. Community Center
- Freedom Park
- Satellite Services
- Treasurer's Office
Businesses are strongly encouraged to recycle in James City County. The 3 convenience centers are available to businesses for recycling drop off, however most businesses arrange their own recycling services with private contractors. So that we can report our recycling rates as required to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, all businesses are asked to complete the Nonresidential Solid Waste Reduction Reporting Form (PDF) annually and return to the Virginia Peninsula Public Service Authority (VPPSA) via mail, fax or email per the instructions on the form.
Curbside Trash Pick-up
The County does not provide curbside trash pick-up. However residents may hire a private company to provide this service. Check with your HOA or property management company to find out if this service is provided in your community.