Who determines if I need a grease trap or interceptor?
When waste pre-treatment (FOG collection) is required by the JCSA or JCC Building Safety and Permits, a grease trap or interceptor shall be installed according to the manufacturers instructions, and the International Plumbing Code. Further federal and regional directives and guidelines may also apply as set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ), The Virginia Department of Health (VDH), and the Hampton Roads Sanitation District (HRSD). The JCSA Special Projects Coordinator will help the facility manager in determining if JCSA requires a grease trap or interceptor. James City County and Virginia State codes prohibit the discharge of materials that can solidify and create blockages in the wastewater collection system or treatment plants. The VDH makes periodic inspections to see that no health problems exist due to improperly maintained grease interceptors. The JCSA has an ongoing program of inspection and verification of correct preventive maintenance procedures.

Show All Answers

1. What is a grease trap?
2. Can you recommend a maintenance schedule?
3. Do I need a grease trap?
4. What if I don’t install a grease trap?
5. Who determines if I need a grease trap or interceptor?
6. How can I get in compliance?
7. How does the JCSA ensure compliance?
8. What is a grease interceptor and how does it work?
9. What are the criteria for inspecting grease traps?
10. What is FOG?
11. What are the negative impacts of FOG?
12. What about using my garbage disposal or use detergent to wash it down the drain?
13. What is the JCSA doing about educating the public?