What if I don’t install a grease trap?
If a commercial establishment uses or generates FOG in food preparation, it will eventually encounter a maintenance problem with a plugged building sewer line. The blockage can create a sewer backup situation and ultimately a potential health problem within the establishment. If the problem develops on the private side of the sewer line, then the establishment has direct responsibility for paying for the repair or remediation. If the grease blockage is in the public sewer main, and it can be proven that the establishment is the cause of the blockage, then the establishment could pay for the public sewer to be maintained. Additionally, HRSD (Hampton Roads Sanitation District) will be notified and can place a monitoring station on your sewer outflow. Should they discover excessive FOG amounts, an additional charge will be added to the facility utility bill. Please note that restricting or blocking a sanitary sewer line is considered a violation of the federal Clean Water Act.

Show All Answers

1. What is a grease trap?
2. Can you recommend a maintenance schedule?
3. Do I need a grease trap?
4. What if I don’t install a grease trap?
5. Who determines if I need a grease trap or interceptor?
6. How can I get in compliance?
7. How does the JCSA ensure compliance?
8. What is a grease interceptor and how does it work?
9. What are the criteria for inspecting grease traps?
10. What is FOG?
11. What are the negative impacts of FOG?
12. What about using my garbage disposal or use detergent to wash it down the drain?
13. What is the JCSA doing about educating the public?