Do I need a grease trap?
Any establishment that introduces FOG into the sewer collection system in quantities large enough to cause blockages or hinder treatment at the sewer treatment facility is required to install a grease trap or interceptor. JCSA requires interceptors (in-ground) for high volume restaurants (full menu establishments operating 16 hrs/day and/or serving 500+ meals per day) and large commercial establishments such as hotels, hospitals, factories or school kitchens. Grease traps (under sink) are required for small volume (take-out restaurants with limited menus, minimum dishwashing and/or minimal seating capacity). This requirement can change if the JCSA discovers excessive grease buildup, or blockages in the downstream sewer line, that requires maintenance from the JCSA.

Show All Answers

1. What is a grease trap?
2. Can you recommend a maintenance schedule?
3. Do I need a grease trap?
4. What if I don’t install a grease trap?
5. Who determines if I need a grease trap or interceptor?
6. How can I get in compliance?
7. How does the JCSA ensure compliance?
8. What is a grease interceptor and how does it work?
9. What are the criteria for inspecting grease traps?
10. What is FOG?
11. What are the negative impacts of FOG?
12. What about using my garbage disposal or use detergent to wash it down the drain?
13. What is the JCSA doing about educating the public?