James City County - Now Hiring Police Officers
*Higher Starting Salary*
James City County Police Department is accepting applications for Police Officer. Candidates with no law enforcement experience, as well as certified officers and deputies are encouraged to apply. Anyone who applied within the last month does not need to reapply. Information on how to apply is at the bottom of this email. Applications are being accepted until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, April 17, 2022.
About James City County Police Department
The Department (JCCPD) is proudly accredited through the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission. It has more than 100 sworn law enforcement officers who respond to more than 20,000 citizen calls for service each year. JCCPD provides comprehensive law enforcement services through its three divisions: Operations, Support Services, and Administrative Services. Every patrol officer is assigned a vehicle and is outfitted with uniforms and equipment, to include: RADAR, Alco-sensor, flashlight, TASER, Glock 9mm handgun, body-worn camera, in-car camera, mobile computer, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and an electronic summons system including in-car printer and bar code scanner.
JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments, and training including: general investigations, narcotics investigations, traffic safety and enforcement, community services & crime prevention, school resource officer program, and uniform patrol. JCCPD also has a number of specialized teams, to include: Honor Guard, SWAT, Bike Patrol, Marine Patrol, Underwater Search & Recovery, Crisis Negotiations, Motors, and Tactical Field Force.
Benefits abound, including a take-home car program (if living within 15-mile driving distance), health and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, tuition assistance, and more. Click here for a full list of County benefits.
Starting Salary: $47,175 or higher depending on qualifications
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be at least 21-years-old (by completion of field training)
- Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
- Must have a high school education or GED (some college preferred)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
- Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
- any felony
- any offense involving moral turpitude
- any misdemeanor sex offense
- domestic assault
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening.
- If conditionally accepted for a position, undergo:
- a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the CCRE and FBI
- a polygraph examination, psychological screening, and fitness assessment
- a physical examination and drug test
Job Description: Click here to view the full job description
Steps of Application / Hiring Process:
- Application screening
- VCIN/NCIC criminal history and DMV driving record checks
- Panel interview for selected applicants
- Background investigation, to include: personal history questionnaire, polygraph examination, local and national criminal history checks, and checks on credit history, neighborhood, character references, and employment
- Post-offer checks, to include: fitness assessment, personality profile assessment, physical/medical examination with drug test
- Candidates must agree not to use tobacco in any form both on and off the job
Click here to read more information.
Questions about the Department and the recruitment process may be directed to Stephanie Williams by email or by calling 757-259-5173. Questions about filling out an application may be directed to HR by email or by calling 757-253-6680 Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (assistance is not available nights, weekends, and holidays).
TO APPLY: Click on the following link to go to the JCC Career Center to complete your application (profile) and apply for the position.
IMPORTANT / PLEASE NOTE:
- If you have previously applied for a County position, be sure to review and update your profile (application) to ensure that all newly required information is included and is up-to-date.
- Applying is a two-step process. (If you create a profile/application, but do not submit it for the position, your application will not be received or processed.)
- Create your profile (application) being sure to complete all tabs and/or fields within each section, then
- Find and click on the "Police Officer" listing in the "Jobs" section of the Career Center, follow the prompts, answer the standard & special questions, and apply for the position.
- CLICK HERE for a step-by-step tutorial for creating your application (profile) and submitting your application for the position. Job is listed as "Police Officer".
- Be thorough and detailed on the application
- Include any attachments that would complement your application package (for example, educational certificate(s) and/or diploma(s), Military DD-214, relevant training documents, etc.)
- Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully-completed application is required.
Accepting applications until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, April 17, 2022
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
State Accredited Agency