Now Hiring Certified Police Officers
James City County Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Certified Police Officer I or II. Applicants must already be a sworn police officer or deputy sheriff with current Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Basic Law Enforcement (BLE) certification, to include successful completion of DCJS-approved field training.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Starting Salaries (fixed):
- $43,500 - Police Officer I (Virginia BLE* certified <2 yrs. w/ certain qualifications)
- $45,674 - Police Officer II (Virginia BLE* certified >2 yrs. w/ certain qualifications)
*BLE - Basic Law Enforcement through Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services
TO APPLY: Click on the following link to go to the JCC Career Center
- Applying is a two-step process:
- Create your profile (application) being sure to complete all tabs and/or fields within each section, then
- Find and click on the "Police Officer I/II" listing in the "Jobs" section of the Career Center, follow the prompts, answer the standard & special questions, and apply for the position.
- CLICK HERE for a step-by-step tutorial for creating your application (profile) and submitting your application for the position. Job is listed as "Police Officer I/II".
- Be thorough and detailed on the application
- Include any attachments that would complement your application package (for example, educational certificate(s) and/or diploma(s), Military DD-214, relevant training documents, etc.)
- Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully-completed application is required.
to complete your application (profile) and apply for the position. If you've previously applied, be sure to review and update your profile (application) to ensure that all required information is included and is up-to-date.
About James City County Police Department
The Department (JCCPD) is proudly accredited through the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission. It has more than 100 sworn law enforcement officers who respond to more than 20,000 citizen calls for service each year. JCCPD provides comprehensive law enforcement services through its three divisions: Operations, Support Services, and Administrative Services. Every patrol officer is assigned a vehicle and is outfitted with uniforms and equipment, to include: RADAR, Alco-sensor, flashlight, TASER, Glock 9mm handgun, body-worn camera, in-car camera, mobile computer, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and an electronic summons system including in-car printer and bar code scanner.
JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments, and training including: general investigations, narcotics investigations, traffic safety and enforcement, community services & crime prevention, school resource officer program, and uniform patrol. JCCPD also has a number of specialized teams, to include: Honor Guard, SWAT, Bike Patrol, Marine Patrol, Underwater Search & Recovery, Crisis Negotiations, Motors, and Tactical Field Force.
Benefits abound, including a take-home car program (if living within 15-mile driving distance), health and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, tuition assistance, and more. Click here for a full list of County benefits.
- Must already be a police officer or deputy sheriff with Basic Law Enforcement certification through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be at least 21-years-old (by completion of field training)
- Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
- Must have a high school education or GED (some college preferred)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
- Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
- any felony
- any offense involving moral turpitude
- any misdemeanor sex offense
- domestic assault
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening.
- If conditionally accepted for a position, undergo:
- a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the CCRE and FBI
- a polygraph examination, psychological screening, and fitness assessment
- a physical examination and drug test
Job Description: Click here to view the full job description
Steps of Application / Hiring Process:
- Application screening
- VCIN/NCIC criminal history and DMV driving record checks
- Panel interview for selected applicants
- Background investigation, to include: personal history questionnaire, polygraph examination, local and national criminal history checks, and checks on credit history, neighborhood, character references, and employment
- Post-offer checks, to include: fitness assessment, personality profile assessment, physical/medical examination with drug test
- Candidates must agree not to use tobacco in any form both on and off the job
Click here to read more information.
Questions about the Department and the recruitment process may be directed to Lt. Jeff Hicklin by email or by calling 757-259-5169. Questions about filling out an application may be directed to HR by email or by calling 757-253-6680.
TO APPLY: Click on the following link to go to the JCC Career Center to complete your application (profile) and apply for the position.
Accepting applications until filled
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
State Accredited Agency (VLEPSC)