Parks & Recreation & COVID 19
May 7, 2020
James City County has a variety of opportunities available in our parks to maintain your mental wellness and connect to nature during these challenging times. You can practice social distancing while still getting exercise and reducing your stress. To comply with social distancing guidelines, please maintain a social distance of at least 6-feet and groups of 10 or more are prohibited. Dogs must be leashed and under the complete and immediate control of their owner at all times.
All County parks are open.
• The James City County Marina Store service window is open daily, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. for fuel sales, payments and other Marina transactions. However, the Marina Store remains closed and there are no bike and paddle craft rentals until further notice.
• The Chickahominy Riverfront Park campground is currently open for stays of 14 days or longer, as permitted by Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order Fifty-Five. Beginning June 11, in accordance with the order, the campground will accept short-term campers (13 days or less). Camping is an activity that can be done safely within social distancing guidelines. The Guest Services building remains closed, but campers may make reservations by calling 757-258-5020. The walking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier and lots of open space are also open and available.
• The County’s tennis courts and pickleball courts are open, available for singles play only. The tennis courts are located at Jamestown High School, Warhill High School and Lafayette High School. At Veterans Park, only the eight pickle ball courts are open, 7 a.m. to sunset daily.
Open Park Amenities
• Brickyard Landing, 990 Brickyard Road (off Forge Road): public boat ramp
• Chickahominy Riverfront Park, 1350 John Tyler Highway: walking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier & open space; the campground is currently open for stays of 14 days or longer. Beginning June 11, stays of 13 days or less will be accepted.
• Diascund Reservoir Park, 9551 Diascund Reservoir Road: boating access & fishing
• Freedom Park, 5537 Centerville Road: mountain biking, hiking, walking, nature trail & open space
• Greensprings Interpretive Trail, 3751 John Tyler Highway: ADA accessible trail, hiking, running & wildlife viewing (no bikes)
• Ironbound Park, 150 Carriage Road: ADA accessible walking trail
• James City County Marina, 2054 Jamestown Road: wildlife viewing; the Marina Store service window is open daily 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. for fuel sales, payments and other Marina transactions (the Marina Store is closed and there are no bike and paddle craft rentals until further notice).
• James City County Recreation Center Park, 5301 Longhill Road: mulituse trails for hiking, biking & jogging
Jamestown Beach Event Park, 2205 Jamestown Road: jogging, walking and exercising are allowed on the beach; swimming for exercise; fishing in fishing area; sitting/standing in picnic areas only; paddle craft launching only in the designated area
• Little Creek Reservoir Park, 180 Lakeview Drive: mulituse trails for hiking, biking and jogging, boat launch & fishing
• Powhatan Creek Park and Blueway, 1831 Jamestown Road: fishing, small watercraft launch & wildlife viewing
• Powhatan Creek Trail, 3131 Ironbound Road: mulituse trails for walking, running, cycling & wildlife viewing
• Upper County Park, 180 Leisure Road/Toano: mountain biking and mulituse trails for hiking, biking and jogging & open space
• Veterans Park (Kidsburg), 3793 Ironbound Road: ADA accessible multiuse trails for hiking, biking & jogging
• Warhill Sports Complex, 4900 Stadium Road: mulituse trails for hiking, biking and jogging, shoreline fishing & open space
The use of these amenities and facilities are permitted in accordance with Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order Fifty-Three. However, opportunities may change so please check daily for any changes in policy.
• All James City County facilities including the recreation centers and Legacy Hall are closed
• All restrooms and water fountains in County Parks are closed
• All public basketball courts, volleyball courts, sports courts, athletic fields, playgrounds and skate park are closed. This also includes these courts at local schools.
• Jamestown Beach Event Park – sunbathing; grilling; wading in the water; sitting, standing, picnicking or loitering on the beach are not permitted. Observation pier.
James City County continues to provide most services and staff are available for assistance by phone or email. Visit https://jamescitycountyva.gov for more information on individual departments and services. For more information on County parks and trails, call 757-259-5360.