COVID-19 Updates and Reminders
Beginning today, May 6, our Monday-Friday update will be posted at 4 p.m. instead of 5 p.m.
Convenience fees for debit and credit card payments will continue to be waived through midnight, Aug. 5, 2020 as a result of the Board of Supervisors approving an extension at their May 5 Budget Work Session. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Help keep yourself and others safe from COVID-19 by wearing a face covering in public. They should:
- Fit snugly but comfortably
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
Need a mask? Learn how to make face coverings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
May 3-9 is Resilience Week in Virginia. Today is Whimsical Wednesday!
Adjective: Playfully quaint or fanciful, especially in an appealing and amusing way. Today is all about play, creating fun art and humor. 50 Ways to Practice Whimsical Wednesday
FEMA has produced guidance for planning to reopen entitled, "Planning Considerations for Organizations in Reconstituting Operations during the COVID-19 Pandemic." There are valuable questions listed in this guidance to help businesses. https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2020/04/30/planning-considerations-organizations-reconstituting-operations-during-covid
There have been updates to two helpful sets of information:
Business owners are encouraged to sign up for the Economic Development Emergency Information newsletter. Subscribe online: https://jamescitycountyva.gov/list.aspx?ListID=356. You can view the May 6 news online: https://jamescitycountyva.gov/CivicSend/ViewMessage/message/111932.
For more information for businesses, please visit https://www.yesjamescitycountyva.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=3751.
Virginia Department of Health (VDH)
VDH provides data daily on case counts, demographic information and more at https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/. Today’s data was delayed due to a technical error. From the website, “The overnight process to compile all of the investigation and laboratory report data experienced a technical error that has resulted in information being unavailable for reporting. VDH is working to resolve the error, and will update information as soon as possible.”
Parks & Recreation
Check out our new Virtual Programming page where you’ll find fun activities for all ages to do at home, in your yard, or in our parks. New this week - learn how to paint using acrylics; get an aquatic workout at home, fun for family game night, discovery-based STEM experiences for children, activity resources for children with special needs and a virtual window into the natural world of birds! Let us help you keep your spirits high and your mind and body well. The list is updated weekly! https://jamescitycountyva.gov/3765/Virtual-Programming
James City County has a variety of opportunities available in our parks to maintain your mental wellness and connect to nature during these challenging times. You can practice social distancing while still getting exercise and reducing your stress – come hike, bike, fly a kite, boat or fish - we can help. All County parks are open, please note:
- The James City County Marina Store service window is open daily from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. for fuel sales, payments and other Marina transactions. The Marina Store remains closed and there are no bike and paddle craft rentals until further notice.
- The Chickahominy Riverfront Park campground is open for stays of 14 days or longer, as permitted by Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order Fifty-Five. Long-term camping is an activity that can be done safely within social distancing guidelines. The walking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier and lots of open space are also open and available.
- The County’s tennis courts and pickleball courts are open, available for singles play only. The tennis courts are located at Jamestown High School, Warhill High School and Lafayette High School. At Veterans Park, only the eight pickle ball courts are open, 7 a.m. to sunset daily.
Patrons must practice social distancing; please maintain a social distance of at least 6-feet and groups of more than 10 are prohibited. Dogs must be leashed and under the complete and immediate control of their owner at all times. For the complete list of park amenity openings and closings, visit https://jamescitycountyva.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=3903
Have you lost your job or had your hours reduced due to COVID-19? You may be eligible for assistance through the Department of Social Services. https://jamescitycountyva.gov/civicalerts.aspx?AID=3822
Need help? Know someone who does?
If you, or someone you care about, are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, or feel like you want to harm yourself or others
- Call 911
- Visit the Disaster Distress Helpline, call 1-800-985-5990, or text TalkWithUs to 66746
- Visit the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224
For more information
- Hotline: 757-564-2140
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information:
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH): www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus, Phone: 1-877-ASK-VDH3 or Peninsula Health District Call Center: 757-564-7069, Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/
- FEMA Rumor Control: www.fema.gov/coronavirus-rumor-control
Renee Dallman, Public Information Officer