COVID-19 Updates and Reminders
Virtual Budget Community Meeting
We are hosting a Virtual Budget Community Meeting this Thursday, April 23 at 12:30 p.m. A Q&A will follow a brief overview of the proposed budget and we need your Q’s!. Please send in questions before or during the meeting. Details at https://www.jamescitycountyva.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=3848&ARC=5860.
Virginia Department of Health (VDH)
Starting this week, VDH will begin reporting the following on www.vdh.virginia.gov:
- Cases, hospitalizations and fatalities at the locality level
- Cases, hospitalizations and fatalities by demographics at the district level
- Ability to differentiate between confirmed and probable cases
- Rates per 100,000 population
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Reports of exposure to cleaners & disinfectants to poison centers increased substantially in March 2020 corresponding with the rise in COVID-19 cases. Learn more about these reports and how to safely use cleaning chemicals: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6916e1.htm?s_cid=mm6916e1_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM26275
- Follow label directions
- Don’t mix chemicals
- Wear protective gear
- Use in a well-ventilated area
- Store chemicals out of reach of kids
Tourism businesses are invited to take a survey from the Virginia Tourism Corporation. This survey closes on Friday, April 24. https://www.vatc.org/coronavirus/covid-19-virginia-tourism-industry-survey/
Business owners are encouraged to sign up for the Economic Development Emergency Information newsletter. Subscribe online: https://jamescitycountyva.gov/list.aspx?ListID=356. Previous messages are available online: https://jamescitycountyva.gov/list.aspx?PRVMSG=356.
For more information for businesses, please visit https://www.yesjamescitycountyva.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=3751.
Have you lost your job or had your hours reduced due to COVID-19? You may be eligible for assistance through the Department of Social Services. https://jamescitycountyva.gov/civicalerts.aspx?AID=3822
Parks & Recreation
James City County’s tennis courts and pickleball courts are open; however, please note the courts are open for singles play only. The tennis courts are located at Jamestown High School, Warhill High School and Lafayette High School. At Veterans Park, only the eight pickle ball courts are open, 7 a.m. to sunset daily. To ensure we can continue to offer these and more physical fitness and recreational opportunities, please follow social distancing guidelines - maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet and groups of more than 10 will be asked to separate.
Need help? Know someone who does?
If you, or someone you care about, are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, or feel like you want to harm yourself or others
- Call 911
- Visit the Disaster Distress Helpline, call 1-800-985-5990, or text TalkWithUs to 66746
- Visit the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224
For more information
- Hotline: 757-564-2140
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information:
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH): www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus, Phone: 1-877-ASK-VDH3 or Peninsula Health District Call Center: 757-564-7069, Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/
- FEMA Rumor Control: www.fema.gov/coronavirus-rumor-control
Renee Dallman, Public Information Officer