**Update to the Update - Parks are open. The original release saying that parks were closed was incorrect. We apologize for the confusion.**
In coordination with the Office of the Governor, the Virginia Department of Health and surrounding counties and cities, all James City County offices, facilities, playgrounds, recreation centers and libraries will remain closed to the public through Sunday, March 29. The intent of this action is to try to slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. During this closure, citizens are encouraged to use online resources such as ePayment through the County’s website, https://jamescitycountyva.gov. Essential County services to the public will continue. County Convenience Centers and curbside recycling services will continue normal operating hours.
Stormwater and Resource Protection: Site Inspections. We are currently performing inspections. Staff will be maintaining a minimum separation of 6’ from anyone that may be on site. For more information call 757-253-6670.
Building Safety and Permits: Building Inspections. We are currently performing inspections. However, staff will be calling ahead to each job site before arriving to see if rescheduling the inspection is possible. If it is not possible to reschedule an inspection, staff will inquire to see if anyone on site has signs of respiratory illness. If so, staff will not conduct the inspection, but will reschedule the inspection for two weeks out. For more information call at 757 253-6882.
Call the following numbers for status information:
Circuit Court: 757-564-2242
General District Court: 757-564-2400
Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court: 757-564-2200
We urge citizens to avoid social gatherings. By practicing social distancing, you can help slow the spread of this disease and reduce the strain on our medical facilities. However, even as we encourage social distancing, we do not want citizens to neglect critical needs like grocery shopping, fueling your vehicle and other daily tasks. We simply encourage everyone to do their part by practicing basic health precautions, such as cleaning hands frequently and sanitizing surfaces to limit disease transmission.
The Peninsula Health District has set up a call center for questions about COVID-19 at 757-594-7069. The call center is available from 8 a.m.-6 p.m., seven days a week. For up-to-date information on numbers of cases and transmission, please visit the Virginia Department of Health’s web page at www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus.
If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms of respiratory illness, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider immediately.
Previously Shared Information
Where to go for more information
We will continue to provide local updates through:
For information on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19):
Closings and Cancellations
- The Economic Development Authority Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 17 has been canceled.
- The James City County Planning Commission meeting on March 16 at 6 p.m. has been canceled. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. in the James City County Government Center Board Room, Building F. Agenda items originally scheduled for March 16, including the Review of the FY2021-FY2025 Capital Improvements Program will be considered at the April 1 meeting. For more information, please contact the Planning Division at 757-253-6685 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The March 23 Community Participation Team (CPT) Listening Forum has been postponed. The CPT encourages local community organizations to submit input for the County’s Engage 2045 Comprehensive Plan update online at jamescitycountyva.gov/3748/Listening-Forums. The Listening Forum will be rescheduled for a future date.
- Fido Fest scheduled for March 21 has been canceled.
- The Williamsburg Regional Library is postponing the opening of the new Kiwanis Kids Idea Studio at the James City County Library scheduled for March 21. Visit the Williamsburg Regional Library website or follow them on social media for up-to-date information on additional postponements and cancellations. www.wrl.org
- The Child Abuse Prevention Candlelight Ceremony scheduled for March 26 is canceled.
- Visit the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools website or follow them on social media for up-to-date information on cancellations. https://wjccschools.org/
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is cautioning the public to be on the lookout for scammers taking advantage of fears surrounding the Coronavirus. The FTC and U.S. Food and Drug Administration have jointly issued warning letters to seven sellers of unapproved and misbranded products, claiming they can treat or prevent the Coronavirus. Please visit the FTC website for more information.
Price-gouging protections are in effect now that Virginia is under a State of Emergency. If you see excessive price increases for COVID-19 necessities, report it to Attorney General Mark Herring’s office https://oag.state.va.us/consumer-protection/index.php/file-a-complaint?fbclid=IwAR2ZwzYjS5zXBd0n6470X9p62Nr9-Wh6aMuSxWRDMzlkGjLhFX_Fukh5SkM
Renee Dallman, Public Information Officer