On Tuesday, July 30, 2019, the 2019 Commemoration, American Evolution, Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestowne will host events for the 400th Anniversary of the First Legislative Assembly. Due to the special events, residents and visitors are urged to plan ahead and be aware of the changes to normal public access to roads, the ferry and parking that will be in place. Additionally, attractions and parks in the area will have delayed openings. Please plan ahead due to high traffic in the area.
Road and Ferry Closures for Tuesday, July 30
- The Colonial Parkway will be closed to the public from Highway 199 West to Jamestown Island from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Jamestown Road (Highway 31) will be closed from 4-H Club Road West to the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- The Jamestown-Scotland Ferry will be closed from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Greensprings Road will be closed between Jamestown Road and 4-H Club Road between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- State Route 359 will be closed between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Bicycle and pedestrian access are not allowed during these closures. This includes the portions of the Virginia Capital Trail in the area.
- The Jamestown Island Loop Road will be closed to all traffic all day on July 30.
- Williamsburg Area Transit Authority buses may be impacted, for more information, visit gowata.org.
- No self-drive access will be permitted to Historic Jamestowne at Jamestown Island. Free satellite parking from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. will be located at James River Association (also referred to as Neck-o-Land) parking area (1335 Colonial Parkway, Williamsburg, VA 23185.) A shuttle from Jamestown Settlement will bring visitors to Jamestown Island between 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Self-drive to Jamestown Settlement and public parking at Jamestown Settlement will be open from 2-10 p.m.
Other Important Information
- Jamestown Beach Event Park at 2205 Jamestown Road will open at 1:30 p.m. for park patrons. The offleash dog area will be closed July 29-31.
- James City County Marina at 2054 Jamestown Road will open at 1:30 p.m. Local boaters are advised to use alternate public boat access prior to 1:30 p.m.
- Jamestown Settlement will be closed to the general public until 2 p.m., but will remain open until 6 p.m. on Tuesday, July 30.
- Historic Jamestowne will be closed to the general public until 1 p.m., but will host a free public concert, American Evolution Fanfare to Democracy Concert at 8 p.m. More information on the concert is available online.
There may be additional road closures that temporarily impact traffic in other areas of the County.
American Evolution Media Contact:
James City County Police Department Media Contact:
Deputy Chief Steven Rubino
James City County Parks & Recreation Media Contact: