The Jamestown Gran Fondo and Jamestown International Triathlon will temporarily close portions of James City County roads on Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7. Several hundred athletes will participate in the two events, which will affect roads in the morning hours this weekend.
From 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, motorists will encounter delays due to the Jamestown Gran Fondo on:
• Jamestown Road near the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry
• Greensprings Road
• 4H Club Road
• John Tyler Highway, including the intersection of John Tyler Highway and Greensprings Road
• Intersection of Monticello Avenue and John Tyler Highway
From 7 a.m. to noon on Sunday, drivers will be delayed on:
• John Tyler Highway and Greensprings Road
• John Tyler Highway and Monticello Avenue
Police will be directing traffic during the race on Sunday to aid in preventing delays. Bicyclists will be traveling on the roadways throughout the day even when traffic is moving steadily, so drivers should use caution.
The 2015 Jamestown International Triathlon is a USA Triathlon Regional Championship and qualifies the top 33 percent per age group for the 2015 Olympic-Distance National Championships in Milwaukee, WI.
For course maps and additional information, visit the Gran Fondo website and the Triathlon website.
Media Contact: Stephen A. Rubino, Deputy Chief