Jolly Pond Convenience Center
Improvements - February 2017
Scope of WorkThe Jolly Pond Convenience Center Improvements project was composed of several site improvements. The improvements included correcting drainage issues in the current vegetative debris drop-off area, as it was prone to flooding. In addition, landscaping along the Center’s road frontage will be installed for screening.
The existing chain link fence along the road frontage has been extended, preventing unauthorized access and illegal dumping. The existing oil, antifreeze, and battery storage area has been be relocated adjacent to the transfer station access drive and a covered storage shelter will be installed.
A retaining wall was constructed for an overflow vegetative debris area permitting customers to drop off debris directly into metal containers. Portions of the upgrades and creation of a BMP downstream utilizing existing site features had been already completed under a previous construction phase to comply with new Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) stormwater pollutant reduction mandates. These improvements now provide water quality benefits and contribute to meeting the County’s permit obligations for the Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Loads (CBTMDL).
- Civil Engineering Design (BMP and Site Improvements) - Completed
- Bidding Phase (BMP and Site Improvements) - Completed
- Construction Phase (BMP) - Completed
- Construction Phase (Site Improvements) - Initiated August 2016
- Site Improvements Completion - February 2017
*revised due to weather-related issues
BudgetOverall Estimated Project - $460,000
- BMP - $135,000
- Site Improvements - $325,000
- AES Consulting Engineers - $35,658
- ECS Mid Atlantic - $11,960
- TAM Consultants - $9,310
- Henry S. Branscome, LLC (BMP) - $96,389
- Toano Contractors, Inc. - $302,408
(Includes Change Order Nos. 1 through 4)
- BOS approved the SUP request on July 23, 2013 for 100-foot buffer reduction.
- Grant awarded for stormwater best management practices to meet the new Department of Environmental Quality mandates regarding pollution reduction.
- Site Plan Approval granted April 11, 2014.
- Substantial Completion of BMP improvements by Henry S. Branscome, LLC.
- Award of Site Improvement Contract to Toano Contractors, Inc.
- Notice to Proceed Issued to Toano Contractors effective Aug. 1, 2016.
- Processed Change Order Nos. 1 through 4.
- Asphalt Paving and Final clean-up.
Next Steps: BMP Improvements
- Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) construction reimbursement.