Stream Restoration - May 2018
Scope of WorkThis project consists of the stabilization of outfalls and stream banks to reduce erosion caused by uncontrolled runoff from the upper east branch of the Mill Creek Watershed. This project will provide stabilization to the eroding streams in Mill Creek and protect adjacent utilities and properties from undermining due to erosion.
Additionally, this stream restoration will provide significant water quality benefits and contribute to meeting the County’s permit obligations for the Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Load (CBTMDL) requirements.
Status of ProjectThe project is located on a parcel approved for purchase by James City County on October 14, 2014. Stormwater Local Assistance Fund (SLAF) grant application was submitted to the DEQ October 2014. A grant of $172,500 was awarded to James City County for the project. Site plan is approved along with all necessary easements and permits. Bids were opened on December 20, 2016 and Finish Line Construction is the apparent low bidder at $268,672 which is within budget. The contract was awarded at the February 14, 2017 Board of Supervisors meeting. A notice to proceed was issued for April 4, 2017. The project was substantially complete on June 30, 2017 despite heavy and frequent rains. Planting of woody and shrub species took place during the appropriate Fall/Winter 2017 planting season and has achieved final completion.
- Design Plans - Complete
- Bidding Phase - Complete
- Construction - Substantially Complete
Budget - Under Review
- Estimated Budget: $350,000
- Finish Line Construction (construction) - $273,872
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $254,733 - 93%
- STANTEC (design) - $71,690
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $54,280 - 76%
- Landtech Resources Inc. - $3,700
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $3,700 - 100%
- Preliminary design is complete
- Property purchase approved
- Grant funding secured
- Design is complete and approved
- Access easement has been signed
- Corps of Engineer Permit approval
- Complete design and bid documents
- Solicit bids for the work
- Land Disturbing Permit approval
- Contract awarded
- Construction commenced
- Clearing is complete
- Construction is substantially complete
- Planting of woody and shrub species will be planted during the Fall/Winter planting season.
- The necessary work will need to be performed in an environmentally sensitive area.
- Easements from private property owners will need to be acquired.