James City County’s COVID-19 Response

Can I get the latest County news delivered to my inbox?
Subscribe to our email distribution list. Select the "News Releases" option under the News Flash section to receive daily updates related to COVID-19 by email or text message.  

What is James City County doing to help protect our community?
County officials are in regular communication with the Virginia Department of Health to stay informed on this rapidly evolving situation.  

The County will continue to follow guidelines issued from Governor Northam’s office, and citizens are required to wear face masks in County facilities, encouraged to practice social distancing and clean hands regularly to limit disease transmission.

Are James City County offices and facilities closed?
Most James City County offices and facilities are open to the public by appointment or for limited walk-in traffic. Citizens are encouraged to wear face coverings inside public facilities and practice social distancing. County parks are open, but please check park amenity openings and closings or call 757-259-5360 before heading out. To reach a specific County department, see the directory or call 757-253-6728.

How will the closure affect public meetings and special events?
Special events hosted by County departments, such as Fido Fest, have been suspended during the closure. Some events may be rescheduled for a future date. Contact County departments directly to get information about specific events.

Some public meetings, such as Board of Supervisors, must continue during the closure. The County is exploring options to allow for public input while following social distancing guidelines. 

What can I do if I am facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Contact Social Services at 757-259-3100 to find information on programs and services that can assist individuals and families. Contact the Office of Economic Development at 757-253-6607 for information on programs and services that can assist businesses.

James City Service Authority (JCSA) has temporarily suspended all service disconnections due to nonpayment. Other utilities and service providers have made similar announcements. Check with individual companies for details.

The James City County Board of Supervisors has elected to absorb the convenience fees for credit/debit card payment. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee at this time. If you have any questions, please contact the Treasurer’s office at 757-253-6705. 

What can I do to help my community at this time?
Call 757-259-5403 if your organization has volunteer needs or if you are interested in volunteering. for the latest information on how you can help while following guidelines to limit disease transmission. 

Accessing County Services 

How can I drop off documents or payments for County departments? Many County departments have drop boxes outside their offices where you can drop off documents.

Social Services

How do I contact Social Services? 
Call the main office number for Social Services at 757-259-3100.  

You can apply for Benefit Programs by calling 855-635-4370 or visiting For questions regarding Benefit Programs, call 757-259-3131 during the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. You can use the agency drop box located in the parking lot to leave paperwork or applications at 5249 Olde Towne Road.  

For questions about other needs, call 757-259-3115 during the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.  

James City Service Authority (JCSA)

How do I contact the James City Service Authority (JCSA)?
JCSA Customer Service is available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at 757-253-6800 to answer questions on bills, starting/stopping service, tap fees, sub-meters and other billing related matters. JCSA Engineering & Operations is available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. at 757-229-7421 to answer questions on engineering, inspections and other non-billing matters. 

How can I pay my JCSA water and/or sewer bill?  
Go to or make a one-time payment over the phone by calling 1-844-257-6063. There is no charge; just have your 10 digit account number available and follow the instructions to pay using your Debit or ATM card, checking or savings account or Visa, MasterCard or Discover.  

How can I calculate and pay my JCSA tap fees?  
Call JCSA Customer Service at 757-253-6800 for assistance in calculating tap fees. Tap fee payments via check can be mailed to JCSA, 119 Tewning Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188. 

General Services

Are Convenience Centers open?
All Convenience Centers are operating under normal business hours. Questions? Call 757-565-0971.  

When will my recycling be picked up? 
Curbside Recycling service continues to follow a normal pickup schedule. Questions? Call 757-253-6700. 

Commissioner of the Revenue & Treasurer

I have a question about my taxes. Who do I call? 
Staff is available by calling the Treasurer’s Office at 757-253-6705 to assist with any tax related questions.  

Is the Treasurer’s Office open?
Yes, the office is open to the public, we but strongly encourage any business requiring interaction be conducted by telephone for safety.

When are personal property and real estate taxes due?
James City County personal property and real estate tax bills have been mailed and are due Friday, June 5. If you did not receive your tax bill, please call the Treasurer’s Office at 757-253-6705. Taxes are still due even if you did not receive the bill.

Are there ways to pay that do not require personal interaction?
Yes. Payments can be made:

  • Online at
  • By telephone at 855-329-4498
  • By using drop boxes located at the government center as well as the satellite services office

Is there a cost to pay online and/or by credit or debit card?
No. Convenience fees for debit and credit card payments will continue to be waived through midnight, Aug. 5, 2020 as a result of the Board of Supervisors approving an extension at their May 5 meeting. Payments made online for personal property taxes, real estate taxes, recycling invoices, landfill coupon books and bulk pickup will NOT be charged a convenience fee.

Why didn’t James City County extend the due date for personal property and real estate taxes?
While the County understands that paying taxes may present a hardship at this time, tax payments are needed to continue to provide essential services, such as Fire, EMS, Police, Social Services, Parks & Recreation and more.

The Board of Supervisors voted on May 5 to not charge a late payment penalty for personal property tax payments made between June 6, 2020 and midnight, Aug. 5, 2020. Interest will be charged at a rate of rate of ten percent (10%) per annum (about .83% monthly) for all payments made after June 5, 2020. As a result, the balance due for payments made after June 5, 2020 will be different from the amount printed on your original bill.  Please contact the Treasurer’s Office for your current balance before making your payment: 757-253-6705.

What is the difference in interest immediately as opposed to penalty first?
As an example: If your tax bill is $500 and you do not pay by the due date, you will owe approximately $4.15 more or .83% of $500.  You will NOT owe the 10% penalty ($50) if you pay the amount due in full on or before August 5, 2020.

Can I make payments on my June 2020 tax bills?
Payments can be made at any time.  If you are not able to pay the June bill on time and in full, interest and penalty will only accrue on the balance as of the due date. 


Where can I find information about court proceedings?  
The Courts will record information on their status at the following telephone numbers: 

The Clerk of the Circuit Court’s office is open and working with a limited amount of staff. They continue to process marriage license, provide notary service, concealed handgun permits, civil and criminal filings and recording deeds. 


Which businesses are allowed to open at this time? 
Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order Sixty-Five modifies public health guidance in Executive Order Sixty-One and Sixty-Two and establishes guidelines for Phase Two, which went into effect on Friday, June 5.

Under Phase Two, the Commonwealth will maintain a Safer at Home strategy with continued recommendations for social distancing, teleworking, and requiring individuals to wear face coverings in indoor public settings. The maximum number of individuals permitted in a social gathering will increase from 10 to 50 people. All businesses should still adhere to physical distancing guidelines, frequently clean and sanitize high contact surfaces, and continue enhanced workplace safety measures.

Restaurant and beverage establishments may offer indoor dining at 50 percent occupancy, fitness centers may open indoor areas at 30 percent occupancy, and certain recreation and entertainment venues without shared equipment may open with restrictions. These venues include museums, zoos, aquariums, botanical gardens, and outdoor concert, sporting, and performing arts venues. Swimming pools may also expand operations to both indoor and outdoor exercise, diving, and swim instruction.

The current guidelines for religious services, non-essential retail, and personal grooming services will largely remain the same in Phase Two. Overnight summer camps, most indoor entertainment venues, amusement parks, fairs, and carnivals will also remain closed in Phase Two.

Phase Two guidelines for specific sectors can be found here. Phase One guidelines sectors are available here. Visit for more information and answers to frequently asked questions.

The full text of Executive Order Sixty-Five and Order of Public Health Emergency Six is available here.

The full text of amended Executive Order Sixty-One can be found here.

I work at an essential business, but I am concerned that they are not following health and safety guidelines. What do I do?
All essential retail establishments must, to the extent possible, adhere to social distancing recommendations, enhanced sanitizing practices on common surfaces, and other appropriate workplace guidance from state and federal authorities. If you are concerned your employer is not following these guidelines, please contact our local office of the Virginia Department of Health. You may email them at or if you would like to speak to someone directly, please call the Peninsula Health District COVID-19 Call Center at 757-594-7069. They are open from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday-Friday.

Scams & Rumor Control

Where do I report a scam? 
Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding COVID-19. Make sure you and your family members are familiar with these new scams. Examples:

  • COVID-19 Tests
  • COVID-19 Treatments
  • COVID-19 Vaccines
  • Demanding immediate payment to avoid utility shut off
  • Requesting your personal information in order for you to receive your stimulus check or other financial relief
  • Selling of fraudulent hand sanitizers and/or medical supplies
  • Offering work-at-home schemes

If you are unsure about a request or an offer that you receive, please contact James City County Police at 757-566-0112 before providing any personal/financial information or payment.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is cautioning the public to be on the lookout for scammers taking advantage of fears surrounding COVID-19. The FTC and U.S. Food and Drug Administration have jointly issued warning letters to seven sellers of unapproved and misbranded products, claiming they can treat or prevent the COVID-19. For more information, or to file a complaint, call 1-877-FTC-HELP or visit

I’ve seen price gouging. Where can I report it?
Price-gouging protections are in effect now that Virginia is under a State of Emergency. If you see excessive price increases for COVID-19 necessities, report it to the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline, 1-800-552-9963 or 804-786-2042, between 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Stress & Coping

The outbreak of COVID-19 may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children and different people react in different ways. Here are some resources that can help you and the people you care about cope with stress: 

  • If you or a loved one is feeling overwhelmed, get support 24/7 by calling the CDC’s Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. 
  • For anyone affected by abuse and needing support, call The National Domestic Violence Hotline, 1-800-799-7233 or if you are unable to speak, go to or text LOVEIS to 22522. 


My question wasn’t answered here. Where can I get an answer? 
This is a rapidly evolving situation, and each day brings new information. Call the County’s public information hotline, 757-564-2140 for daily updates, or view James City County’s COVID-19 page for the latest news and updates.