Stream Restoration - April 2019
Scope of Work
This project consists of the stabilization of outfalls and stream banks to reduce erosion caused by uncontrolled runoff from upper headwater areas of the Mill Creek Watershed. This project will provide stabilization to the eroding streams in Mill Creek and protect adjacent properties from undermining due to erosion. Additionally, this stream restoration will provide significant water quality benefits and contribute to meeting the County’s permit obligations for the Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Load (CBTMDL) requirements.
Status of Project
The project will restore a stream below the Foxes and Graylin Woods subdivisions. These subdivisions were developed prior to modern stormwater management requirements and subsequently erosion in the two stream segments is significant. A Stormwater Local Assistance Fund (SLAF) grant application was submitted to the DEQ in February 2017. A 50% matching grant of $202,689 was awarded to James City County for the project. The site plan has been reviewed by all agencies and is ready for resubmittal in July 2018. Homeowners in both the Foxes Subdivision and Graylin Wood Subdivisions are aware of the project but easement acquisition is taking longer than expected.
- Design Plans - Second submittal October 2018
- Bidding Phase - May 2019
- Construction - August 2019
- Estimated Budget - $405,379
- Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. - $69,496
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $33,920 – 49%
- Landtech Resources Inc. - $6,220
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $6,220 – 100%
- Design is complete.
- Grant funding secured.
- Corps of Engineers approval granted.
- Plan approval.
- Easements acquired
- Complete design and bid documents.
- Solicit bids for the work.
- Land Disturbing Permit approval
- Contract Awarded
- As-built review and Corps of Engineering Nationwide Permit 27 monitoring
- The necessary work will need to be performed in an environmentally sensitive area.
- Easements from private property owners will need to be acquired.