NOTICE - For the safety of applicants and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, James City County Fire Department is postponing the upcoming 2020B hiring session. All applicants applying between February 15 and May 15, 2020 will now be scheduled with the 2020C process scheduled in fall, 2020. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please refer to the table below for the revised timeline. Applications remain open year round. You may contact the Recruitment Office for any questions. Thank you.
|*If you apply between these dates...||2/15/2200|
Note: If multiple dates are listed, you are only required to attend one for each event; dates may be added or removed based on the number of applicants.
*If an applicant is unable to attend mandatory Eligibility Session, APAT, and Panel Interviews in the current session, he or she may attend in the next session.
We honor the high level of public trust given to our personnel by conducting a rigorous selection process.
- Printable Process Guidelines (PDF)
- Printable Hiring Process Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Process FAQs (PDF)
- Save the Dates (PDF)
- Review Job Description (PDF)
- Review Automatic Disqualifiers (PDF)
- Submit a complete and thorough application via our online Career Center
After a preliminary application review and, if selected, you will be contacted by a recruiter to register for the following:
- Mandatory eligibility session
- Applicant Physical Ability Test (APAT)
- Panel interviews
If you are given a conditional offer of employment, the following post-offer checks are conducted:
- Background investigation
- Medical/physical examination
- Drug screening
- Review of completed questionnaire
- Polygraph examination
- Criminal history
- Sex offender registry check
- Driving record @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Credit history
- Neighborhood survey
- Character reference check
- Employment records check @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Those who satisfactorily complete the background investigation and post-offer checks will be placed in a pool for further consideration. A permanent offer of employment will be made to individuals selected from this pool based on the needs of the department and the number of positions available. This pool of applicants will remain active until one year has passed.
If you have any questions about this process please contact the Fire Department Recruitment Coordinator.