Skip Navigation and go to Main Content
JCC Home page JCC Home Page

Contact Information:


Police Department

4600 Opportunity Way

Williamsburg, VA 23188


Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 8784
Williamsburg, VA 23187

Directions - Directory

P: 757-253-1800
F: 757-229-8729




For Emergencies
dial 911


JCC Crime Line



Submit Crime/Drug Info!


Home » Departments & Services » Police Department » Commendations or Complaints

How To Make A Commendation or Complaint


If you wish to make a commendation or complaint about the actions of a James City County Police Officer or about any aspect of the James City County Police operations, please come by the Police Department located at 4600 Opportunity Way, and tell the front desk personnel that you would like to speak with someone about making a commendation or complaint about an officer or Police operations.


Or, call the Police Department at 757-253-1800 and tell the person answering the phone that you would like to make a commendation or complaint regarding an officer or Police Department operations.


You can also write your commendation or complaint out and mail it to:


Chief of Police

James City County Police Department

PO Box 8784

Williamsburg, VA  23187-8784






For Commendations, please write a detailed letter explaining the specific action or actions of the Officer or the Department which merit the Letter of Commendation. Your letter will be forwarded to the Chief of Police.


A James City County Police Supervisor will assist you in filling out a Notification of Citizen or Officer Complaint form. This form asks you to identify yourself and then give specific details about your complaint. Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint.


If it is going to take a long period of time to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply. When your complaint has been investigated, the Chief of Police will review the investigation and send you a response advising you of the disposition regarding the complaint.