Our position is to serve and protect the community concerning problem, neglected, and dangerous animals and to enforce the County and State Animal Laws.
The James City County Animal Control Shelter is located is located at 430 Waller Mill Road in the Heritage Humane Society facility: Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday (757-565-0370). James City County dog licenses are due every year by January 31. They can be purchased at the EOC building in Toano or the County's Treasurer's office on Mounts Bay Road. All dogs and cats are required by state law to be vaccinated for rabies at four months of age. If you keep a dog outside, the animal must have an enclosed shelter and water. And if on a chain, the chain should be three times the length of the body.
Animal Control offers many services to citizens including:
- The impoundment of stray dogs and dogs running at large
- Capturing stray dogs
- Attempting to locate the owners of stray and found animals
- Loaning cat traps to citizens for stray and feral cats for them to transfer to the Humane Society
- Offering animals for adoption
- Assist with sick and injured wildlife such as raccoons and opossums
- Investigate animal neglect and cruelty