N E W S R E L E A S E
April 19, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Paul Holt, Director of Planning
Dedication held for Grove Community historic highway marker
Members of the James City County Historical Commission, present and past residents of the Grove community and County and State officials dedicated a new historic highway marker for the community of Grove on Saturday, April 13. The marker commemorates the establishment of Grove after the Civil War on land confiscated by the Freedmen’s Bureau for displaced newly freed slaves and free blacks. Residents of Grove had to relocate when this land was restored to its previous owners in 1867. In 1918, some descendants returned to the area of Grove after the U.S. government forced their removal from more than 14,000 acres of land to make way for the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station and the Cheatham Annex. Facility expansion in these areas during World War II led to the further growth of Grove.
The marker is located on Pocahontas Trail near its intersection with Magruder Avenue adjacent to Colonial Manor senior living facility.
For more information, please contact the Planning Division at 757-253-6685 or email@example.com.