N E W S R E L E A S E
Oct. 29, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dawn Oleksy, Environmental Coordinator
James City County receives highest certification for Virginia Municipal League’s Go Green Government Challenge
James City County has been recognized by the Virginia Municipal League (VML) with platinum-level certification for being a green and sustainable government. The 2013 Go Green Government Challenge, a VML initiative, is a friendly competition among local governments to encourage the implementation of specific environmental policies and practical actions that reduce carbon emissions.
VML’s platinum-level certification, the highest level for local governments, is awarded to those scoring more than 175 out of 200 possible points.
The County received highest points in the following areas:
- Energy Efficiency: Conducted bi-monthly energy audits of all James City County government facilities contributing to four percent energy reduction during FY13.
- Land Use: Promoted and implemented the use of permanent conservation easements.
- Employee Incentives: Established an Energy Team to educate employees on policies and practices relating to energy conservation.
- Education/Community Participation: Collaborated with neighboring jurisdictions and local corporations to formulate a Community Energy Plan.
- Innovation: Held a Business Recycling 101 Event geared toward multitenant dwellings and facilities to educate businesses, timeshares, hotels and apartment complexes about the importance of recycling.
For more information on the County’s efforts, call 757-259-5375.