113 Tewning Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Hours of Operation
7:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Jamestown Beach Site Improvements Access Road and Trails, Parking and Bathroom Facilities
Jan. 3, 2014
Scope of Work
This project consists of the installation of facility improvements to support the increased usage of the Jamestown Beach as a result of the beach restoration activities undertaken in 2011 and 2012. The improvements consist of improved access roads, increased parking facilities, handicap accessible beach access paths, gate facilities, signage, and a restroom/ concession building with associated water and sewer lines. The improvements are necessitated by the increased popularity of the beach area due to beach restoration/ nourishment activities.
Status of Project
Project is in the design phase. A concept plan and a site plan have been submitted have been submitted to the Planning Division. As a result of the concept plan review, the scope of the project was increased to include design of a restroom facility served by public utilities rather than a pump and haul type facility. Field investigations for the archaeology study necessitated by the historic nature of the property as the site of the 1611 Argall Town have been completed. The second submission of the site plan should be submitted to the Planning Division in late December/early January.
for larger views.
Project design contract cost - $53,738
Design change orders approved to date - $48,275*
Current balance - $34,875
* Caused by change in project scope to add utilities and the rest room
- Site plan design submitted for review and comments have been received
- Archaeology field work completed
- Submit the project to the VA Department of Historic Resources
- Full site plan submission to Planning including the water and sewer plans
- Completion of architectural design for the bathroom facility
- Acquisition of easement for waterline installation from adjacent property owner
- Need to get approval from the state and federal agencies for project’s impacts on historic and cultural resources